Disaster Research Response (DR2) Program
The NIH DR2 Program has curated a repository of data collection tools and related resources to empower human health research in response to disasters and public health emergencies.
- The NOAA Tornado Post-Event Survey identifies how community members receive, interpret, and respond to tornado watch and warning messages.
- The Tornado Risk Perception Survey instrument was used to assess the risk perception and sheltering decision of the Kansas University campus community after the 2019 EF4 Linwood, Kansas tornado.
- The March 2020 Tornadoes in Middle Tennessee Post Event Survey examines tornado stress exposure, forecast and warning information sources, barriers for receiving warning information, protective actions, and tornado recovery challenges.
- The Tornado Injury Questionnaire and Tornado Injury Questionnaire: Mail Survey to Tornado Survivors were developed to address the May 3, 1999, Oklahoma tornadoes. The questionnaires examine damages, location of victim during tornado, emergency care and communications, and any injuries sustained due to the tornado event.
- The April 2011 Alabama Tornado Injury and Mental Health Survey addresses the third deadliest tornado outbreak in recorded U.S. history. The survey asked if helmets were used for head protection, which warning sources were accessible, reaction to the sirens, and estimated annual frequency of tornado siren exposure.
- The Tornado Response Questionnaire examines damages, location of victim during tornado, emergency care and communications, and any injuries sustained due to a tornado event.
- The Disaster Adaptation and Resilience Scale (DARS) is a 43 item, self-report questionnaire designed to measure five domains found to support adaptive responses in individuals exposed to disasters: physical resources; social resources; problem-solving; distress regulation; and optimism.
- RAPIDD Protocol Designer, a web-based tool that allows researchers to make selections and provide inputs to customize a human subjects research protocol. Other RAPIDD tools include: